What Are The Important Gaps in Informal STEM Education Research?
There are scores of studies of learning in ISE that have been published in peer-reviewed journals. There are an even greater number of studies conducted in classroom settings that have advanced theory in ways that can inform ISE practice. For example, studies of how to support “science talk” in classrooms can guide practices in afterschool, field trips, and on-line networks. Furthermore, research on how science talk is supported in ISE settings could potentially advance theory that could, in turn, support practices in classrooms as well as ISE. Summaries of some of these studies can be found here and many of the original articles can be accessed through EBSCO.
Understanding the gaps in the research literature – the ways in which your ISE programs could contribute to knowledge for the field – requires familiarity with the research literature. Partnerships (see How can I integrate more research in my practice?) with researchers can help to identify the gaps relevant to your work. Some of the more pressing and significant domains of research currently being developed in ISE research include:
- Broadening Participation in STEM Learning
- Developing and Integrating New Media (Cyber, Gaming, Digital) in ISE Learning
- Connecting Learning Across Settings (everyday, ISE, school, etc.)
- Longitudinal Impacts and Outcomes and Other Measurement Strategies
Actual research questions generally tend to be narrow. For example, within the domain of broadening participation, designers of a science festival program may want to test particular theories of learner engagement involving culturally relevant pedagogy. Producers of a radio program may want to explore how the addition of online components can deepen learner involvement with a given subject matter.
ISE Research Agendas
Several professional associations and projects have mapped out what they see as key issues for their fields. These research agendas, which may be periodically updated, can be found here.
- What is Informal STEM Education Research?
- What Does Informal STEM Education Research Tell Us?
- What Does Informal STEM Education Research Look Like?
- What Are the Pressing Gaps in Informal STEM Education Research?
- How Can I Integrate More Research into My Practice?
- Access Peer-Reviewed Literature (EBSCO)